I was always skeptical of warm salads, but I really, really enjoyed this one.
It has distinct flavor, but be careful not to overcook it! It’s supposed to be warm, not boiled. When you prepare it right, a warm salad is a nice companion to a glass of red wine and a pleasant start to an even better evening. 🙂
You will need:
1 red onion
3 green bell peppers ( not hot!)
3 small size zucchini( the smaller, the better)
2 cups baby bella mushrooms
3/4 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp sesame oil
Salt, black pepper
10 min to wash and prepare vegetables
10 min to stir fry the salad
Total 20 min
1. Wash and prepare all the vegetables. Cut the zucchini in circles, the bell peppers and onion in large squares and the bella mushrooms in large chunks.
2. Preheat a nonstick pan with the 2 tbsp sesame oil. Sautee the onion until golden in color, then add the bell peppers and and mushrooms.
3. When the mushrooms release their juices add the zucchini and stir fry with the lemon juice, salt and black pepper. Remember that when you serve the salad the zucchini have to be still crunchy, not boiled and mushy! Set aside.
4. In a dry pan roast the pine nuts until they release their flavor. You can add them to the salad immediately, because it’s a warm salad.
* If you make fresh salad with pine nuts, you have to let them cool completely after roasting before adding them to the salad.
5. Serve the salad and sprinkle the pine nuts on top. You can garnish with dill and lemon dressing, and if not on a diet, you can add a little butter to it too 🙂