In August I wrote that I am making 2 cakes in one day- for my birthday girl Ellie and for her friend Ella. They are born on the same date ( 2 years apart) and I was very anxious to agree to make both cakes, since I had no idea what Ellie will want for her cake and how much time it will take me.
You all know that Ellie’s cake was a “tutu” cake, so let’s focus on the one you haven’t seen yet.
I know, I know…it took me almost 3 months to post it, but I hope you still enjoy it none the less!
This of course is the finished cake:
But everything starts with the details…
1. My cakes always start with a sketch. In this case, we had 2 sketches and a lot of changes made in between.
2. The hat that I made- first a fondant hat that I decorated with Royal Icing on top
3. The butterfly, that was not supposed to be on the cake originally
4. The cake layers- Devil’s food cake with Lemon Mascarpone filling, fresh raspberries and bananas
5. And of course the finished cake up close
One thing I regret is that I did not have “fun” while I was making it. I had very little time from the sketch to the finished product and I was so worried if I am going to be able to finish it on time, that I missed all the fun in between. But this is easy to fix, next year I can do another and plan ahead of time 😉