I’ve been asked to provide the recipe for 2 peas in a pod cake and there it is.
( If you can’t order these you can very well use all purpose yellow cake and cocoa cake layer)
For the walnut ganache
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts
For the strawberry filling
2 cups fresh strawberries
6 tbsp sugar
1. The day before In a large pan bring the whipping cream to a boil and add the chocolate chips. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until ALL of the chocolate is completely incorporated! You shouldn’t have chunks or darker dots, and your ganache should be with a homogeneous dark chocolate-y color! Chop the walnuts with a processor until they are almost creamy, then add to the ganache. Transfer into a bowl and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
2. The day before wash the strawberries and place them in an airtight container. Sprinkle with the sugar and leave them in the refrigerator overnight.
3. The next day first check if there is any undissolved sugar in the strawberries and if there is, place them in a pan on the stove and warm up as you stir constantly until the sugar is dissolved. Let it cool completely before use!
4. With a mixer beat the cold ganache until light and fluffy. Do not overbeat it!
5. Place the first layer in a cake spring form, previously lined with plastic wrap. Then spread the ganache and on top of it place the strawberries. Remember, your strawberries should be completely cold at this point, otherwise they would melt the ganache!
Repeat until the springform is full and cover with plastic wrap.
6. Freeze for one hour, then coat with buttercream or decorators Icing and you are ready to cover the cake with fondant.
Very easy and delicious!
Note: You can add whole walnuts under the strawberries or if you want to make one layer with walnuts, one with strawberries.
This photo is from Kalin’s birthday, I made the same kind of cake. I have such a thick layer of decorator’s icing, since the birthday was outside on a very hot day with no refrigerator. You need to use small amount if you are going to keep the cake in the refrigerator.